Scotland Send On A Substitute!
Press Release – Dated 26/09/20
Scotland Send On A Substitute!
Alex Maciver, an Explorer Scout from Perth & Kinross, has stepped up “from the bench” as first reserve to join the ReQuest2021 Antarctic Research Team on what promises to be the journey of a lifetime!
Alex is from a small highland town called Aberfeldy. He holds the Young Leader belt and is currently working towards his Queen’s Scout and DofE Gold awards.
Alex has been to Poland and Switzerland with his local Scout troop, he was a participant at the Blair Atholl Jamborette in 2018 and he was lucky to be a participant in Unit 90 for the 24th World Scout Jamboree in North America.
Alex’s fundraising page: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AlexMaciver
Alex will be taking the place of Emma Johnston who for personal reasons has very sadly decided to withdraw from the actual journey to Antarctica. Emma intends to remain as part of the wider ReQuest2021 supporting team and she still aims to complete her personal project of producing some fun & educational children’s books about Antarctica.
In the Winter of 2021/22, the team of ten (8 from Kent and 2 from Scotland) will be sailing on the Bark Europa Tall Ship from South America to Port Lockroy in Antarctica. Exactly 100 years after two Scouts sailed on Shackleton’s final Quest Expedition the project‘s objectives will be: –
- To participate as members of the crew on the Barque Europa on a voyage to Antarctica.
- For each of the participants to carry out an Antarctic research project and present the results upon return.
- To visit Port Lockroy base that was established by Scout James Marr and fly a Scout flag on Antarctica.
- To unveil an expedition plaque dedicated to Marr & Mooney at Gilwell Park and Fordell Firs Scottish HQ.
- To involve the younger sections in join-in educational fun activities in the form of Antarctica In An Ice Box.
The team have fundraised just over £60,000 so far with a project target of £110,000. King penguin level sponsors (each donating over £1000) to date include the Deep-Sea Scouts, the Earl of Radnor and the Boatmen’s Charity (Deal). Fundraising continues despite the impact of Coronavirus and they only have until the end of June 2021 to raise another £50,000.
Kent Scouts is one of the largest Scouting counties in the UK. Giving adventure to 17,112 young people and 5,439 adults across Kent. They are an umbrella organisation to the Scout Association of the UK operating in the Local authorities of Kent County Council and Medway Council. The aim of the Association is to promote the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential, as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities.
For various ways you can follow and support the project please visit: www.ReQuest2021.org.uk
|There are three easy options for your donation payments: –|
1. Please make any donation cheques payable to “Kent County Scout Council”, and post to Kent Scouts, Lower Grange Farm, Maidstone, Kent ME14 3DA.
2. You can donate by BACS to Sort Code: 40-52-40 Account #: 00015563
quoting “Request2021” as a reference.
3. Or online via our Virgin Money Giving Page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/ReQuest2021 or via the link our website: www.request2021.org.uk
For more info, or for higher resolution versions of images, please contact:-
Assistant County Commissioner (Global Projects)
Kent Scouts County Office
Lower Grange Farm