Kent Scouts Antarctica Project
In the Winter of 2021/22 a select team of Scouts will be sailing on the Bark Europa Tall Ship from South America to Port Lockroy in Antarctica.
Yet the miracle happened. A dream grew into reality. (James Marr)
Mission: The mission for the ReQuest2021 project can be summarised under the three banners of Peace, Environment and Heritage.
Exactly 100 years after two Scouts sailed on Shackleton’s final Quest Expedition the project‘s primary objectives will be: –
- Participate as members of the crew on the Barque Europa on a voyage to Antarctica in the Winter ‘21/’22 and develop 10 Scouting Antarctica Ambassadors to promote Scouting’s strong links with Antarctica. (Peace, Environment, Heritage)
- For each of the participants to carry out an Antarctic research project and present the results upon return. (Peace, Environment, Heritage)
- To visit Port Lockroy base that was established by Scout James Marr and fly a Scout flag on Antarctica. (Heritage)
- To unveil an expedition plaque dedicated to Marr & Mooney both at Gilwell Park in Scout HQ in England and Fordell Firs Scout HQ in Scotland. (Heritage)
- To involve the younger sections in join-in educational fun activities in the form of Antarctica In An Ice Box. (Peace, Environment and Heritage)
- Hold a pre-expedition PR event for sponsors, participants and Scouting dignitaries on board a similar 100 year-old vessel at St Katherine’s Dock, on 17th Sep ‘21 and have Tower Bridge opened just for us! (Heritage)
- Attend the Devon and Cornwall Polar Society Quest commemorative event at Plymouth in Sep 2021. (Heritage)
- To have Scouting representation at Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Grave on South Georgia on 4th/5th January 2022. (Peace, Heritage)
- Potential to link up with Scouts in other countries on the original expedition route. (Peace, Heritage)
- Create a legacy research project called T.A.S.K. – “The Antarctica Scout Krill” project inspired by James Marr’s scientific work on Krill. (Environment)